Monday, June 20, 2011

Tacos, Outlets, Grooming and Noodles

To continue with the Fatty Friday weekend celebration, The Fisherman and I went out for tacos. Unfortunately, I didn't have the heart to have more than a couple of bites. Now I've been to Taco al Suadero at least half a dozen times, and obviously I kept coming back. But last time I think they had an off day, and I was not feeling great after I ate there last time. Something was off, and I got a bit sick. That can happen sometimes, whether eating at a restaurant, a friend's house, or even your own. I don't fault Taco al Suadero, but if I get sick again, then I usually take it as a sign to not go back.
 These are from the last time we went for tacos.

I think we got steak, al pastor (basically pork cooked like gyro meat with pineapple mixed in to tenderize the meat), goat, chicken. This time we tried buche (pork stomach), not as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe next time Suadero, I'll be ready for your goodness...

Then on Saturday we were uber busy. My dogs needed a haircut, bad, so we took them to the groomer, then out to Long Island we went to go shopping at Tanger Outlets (I really needed sneakers and The Fisherman promised to take me). Unfortunately, for the purpose of this blog, food was typical mall-type fair. And The Fisherman and I were trying not to be pigs in front of his friends so we only ate a little. And I resisted a Creamsicle (why I wanted one, I don't know, nostalgia perhaps?? A poor substitute for morir soƱando?)

Shopping ensued, I think fun was had by all, and then back to Queens to drop off The Fisherman's friends, and pick up the dogs from the groomer.

Yaaay for haircuts! Now they won't melt in the heat!!

We brought the dogs to show the Fisherman's parents their new 'do, and we celebrated by going to Lao Bei Fang for soup (just an FYI, there's the old one, on Whitney, and the new one, on Broadway. The one on Whitney makes AMAZING dumplings for cheap, like five for $1.25, while the one on Broadway has the soup and great noodles).

 Wonton soup with noodles. It has so many noodles (and I love noodles!), that I can't finish it. The Fisherman's mom gives him half of her noodles, so I think next time she and I will share.

 Freshly made, hand crafted noodles. SLAP! SLAP goes the noodles on the board. Mmmm, slappy.
 Spicy chili sauce. So mysterious, yet sooo good!

 Scallion pancakes, and spicy tripe and tendon. I love scallion pancakes, and I'm glad The Fisherman's dad enjoys them as well. The latter, I'm getting used to. Cold, chewy, spicy. The key is to not think about what it is, and enjoy the texture and spicy coolness.

While waiting for food I was so thirsty. Then I looked across the street and realized I was across from Quickly, which sells bubble tea. Not having bubble tea YET this spring/summer, I had to go for some. After a long line (and naturally first picking lychee tea, and them naturally not having that), I was triumphant with my passion fruit tea. A little too sweet, but tart and great with the bubbles. Maybe I'm too old for the sweetness, but I'm so glad I got it.

I wish I had pictures of dinner that The Fisherman and I made on Sunday, but we ate it too fast. It was an example of what being an Alchemist is all about: finding what you have and making something delicious.

You'll have to use your imagination, but picture al dente cooked linguini, delicately coated in a sauce of olive oil, butter, some leftover pesto, finely chopped garlic, finely diced onion, and some Parmesan cheese. Simple, but delicious. The Fisherman couldn't get enough, so that's good enough for me. And for dessert, Reese's Peanut Butter Klondike bars.

I'm almost ready for the work week. Almost. Back to the grind, and back to more sensible, but still tasty dishes for the week. Happy Monday, and mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment